Sometimes, life’s big questions just pop into my brain. Like this one: if you were a circus performer, which one would you be? I think it came to mind because I’m listening to the audiobook Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I watched the movie with Reese Witherspoon and the vampire guy ages ago and enjoyed it, so I thought I’d give the book a go.
Anyway, back to the question at hand. Which performer would I be? I have considered the pros and cons of each and narrowed it down to a shortlist:
- Ring Master. Starting from the top, the big guy. I have a bossy streak, so I could definitely see myself with the top hat and microphone, but then, it’s probably the most boring of all the jobs, and too much responsibility!
- Lion Tamer. I love animals, but cats aren’t my favourite. And I’m not super-fussed on handling lots of red meat (and giant lion poops).
- Trapeze artist or acrobat. This is a good option. I did gymnastics as a kid, but I’d have to find some of that flexibility again (and I’m not sure that’s even possible).
- Human catapult. Um, getting shot out of a cannon? Pass.
- Fire-eater. Pyrotechnics are cool! This is another potential option. Strong contender.
- Strong-man. I’m not (strong). Pass.
- Snake-charmer. Snakes are freaky. Pass.
- Clown. I like to think I’m funny, but I know deep down I’m not really. Although dressing up in a colourful wig and bright red nose every day…
- Roadie crew. Setting up then pulling down the big top every few days? Sounds like way too much hard work.
So, I think the winner is … fire-eater! A big life question answered!
What would you be?